Vacancy: Director of Development at BrazilFoundation
We are sharing this job opportunity
The vacancy bellow can be found at: https://www.brazilfoundation.org/jobs-director-of-development/
Published on September 30th, 2020
Position Title: Director of Development
Location: New York, NY
Reports To: President & CEO and Vice President
Exemption Status: Exempt, Full-Time Position requiring 37.5 hours per week
The BrazilFoundation is seeking a highly skilled, dynamic, mission-driven, motivated, and philanthropy-oriented Director of Development. The Director of Development will be responsible for the planning, implementation, and execution of a development strategy in the United States and Brazil to attract individual gifts, corporate and private foundation gifts, and deferred gifts.
The Director of Development reports to the President & CEO and works collaboratively with the Foundation Vice President and bi-national staff and board to advance the Foundation’s mission and resources through coordinated development and stewardship efforts, including responsibilities for communications and marketing. The position is based in New York.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Development Director will:
Develop and execute BrazilFoundation’s annual fundraising plan
Secure financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations
Oversee the Donor Services Manager; Manage the implementation of Raiser’s Edge by all staff and oversee all staff responsible for data entry and gift processing
Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
Execute a strategy for a large, sustained base of individual donors
Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising
- Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle – initiate contacts with potential major gift donors, develop cultivation strategies, move potential donors in a timely fashion toward fund creation and maintain stewardship contact with donors.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues, volunteer leadership, and professional advisors (attorneys, wealth advisors, accountants, and trust officers) to cultivate and expand current giving by planned gift donors.
- Oversee process of establishing new funds by assisting donors in selecting charitable giving products that complement and enhance donors’ charitable goals.
Foster Bi-national Philanthropy
- Plan, implement, and evaluate donor cultivation and stewardship events such as small gatherings, luncheons, cocktail events, and educational opportunities to build partnerships with donors.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate professional advisor educational outreach events to continually update and guide professional advisors in the charitable and planned giving arena.
- Participate regularly in community activities and events to enhance the image and position of the Foundation. Activities include speaking to groups, participating in civic engagement, and overall immersion in the Brazilian diaspora community by networking to foster the culture of philanthropy.
Communications and Marketing
- Collaborate with communications team to develop clear, consistent messaging related to the Foundation’s mission, community leadership activities and grantmaking.
- Promote consistent communication to all audiences through targeted messages and appropriate media vehicles.
Build and Maintain Professional Work Environment
- Maintains respectful and productive work relationships with staff
- Manages conflicts directly with supervisor and other staff as appropriate
Maintain Positive Relationships with Community
- Represents the foundation with integrity by displaying courtesy, tact, consideration, and discretion in all interactions with foundation and community stakeholders, including non-profit organizations, community leaders, donors, board members and the BrazilFoundation community at large
- Conducts self in a highly ethical and professional manner and maintains confidentiality
- Five to seven years minimum professional leadership experience in the field of fundraising. Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation preferred
- High level of proficiency in major gifts, estate planning, planned giving vehicles, and project fundraising
- Ability to identify opportunities, relationships, and partnerships for new/increased revenue generation
- Proficiency in both written and verbal presentations, as well as the ability to interact with senior management, board of directors, donors, and community influencers
- Demonstrate strategic thinking and capacity to see both the big picture and the detailed steps needed to achieve organizational goals
- Undergraduate degree in related field; master’s degree highly desirable
- Fluent in English and Brazilian Portuguese
- Legal clearance to work in the United States
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge and Constant Contact
- Experience in leading organization of special events
- Good time management skills, excellent organizational skills
- Self-starter, able to work with little supervision
- Able to travel up to 25% of time
Each employee of BrazilFoundation is an essential part of the whole. We are in the business of helping Brazilian communities and how we interact with each other and build our internal community matters greatly. Each role also supports our overall mission to strengthen the BrazilFoundation community by attracting charitable donations and endowments both large and small, maximizing benefits to donors, making effective grants and providing leadership in the Brazilian philanthropic community.
Expected Core Competencies
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Addressing conflict in the interests of the foundation and setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
- Making fair and transparent decisions and taking calculated risks
Note: While performing the duties of the job the employee is regularly required to sit, maneuver around building, stand, kneel, stoop, crouch, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. Employee must regularly lift and move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and move up to 25 pounds.
To apply, send C.V. and cover letter to email@example.com
BrazilFoundation mobilizes resources for ideas and actions that transform Brazil. We work with local leaders, organizations and a global network of supporters to promote equality, social justice and economic opportunity for all Brazilians.
Identifying and supporting the solutions that will enable a future of equal access, social justice and opportunity for every Brazilian
One good idea holds enormous power. When supported and nurtured, it can become the solution that transforms a community. BrazilFoundation is dedicated to identifying, nurturing and supporting the promising ideas of community leaders across Brazil. When woven together their local solutions will strengthen the fabric of the country.
Years ago, a few friends met in New York City to learn how they could come together constructively to contribute to a better Brazil. The untested idea was to unite a family of support behind the leaders with ideas that will transform Brazil. Though this seed now has deep roots the initial vision remains: identifying and supporting the solutions that will enable a future of equal access, social justice and opportunity for every Brazilian.
Understanding that the greatest rewards often come with a measure of risk, we temper our decisions with confidence in the capacity and extraordinary resilience of the women and men we support.
This work requires many hands, tireless persistence and aligned resources. It is based in a vision of a shared future and a shared effort.