Love the Amazon rainforest
Or let the Earth be fine again without stupid humankind. Let the Earth become cool again after that crazy period when greedy and irresponsible human beings lived on this planet, killed the forest, changed the climate, and killed themselves by consequence
Welcome to a selection of beautiful images of the Amazon rainforest, that you can see at the end of this post, as we enter at the end of our own narrative as humans on Earth. The images below are like an ironic souvenir from Google Images.
The images that you can see at the end of our story (in both senses, this text, and History) do not represent what can be found at least in the Western Amazon, states of Acre and Rondônia, in Brazil, neither in Peru and Bolivia.
“In 2017, when I went for the first time to the Amazon rainforest, I was looking for rubber trees (for my PhD research). However I found death. The forest is dying. Deforestation is everywhere. Cattle is everywhere”. – Luciana Duarte
So, first of all, let’s see some deforestation and some cattle in the Western Amazon:
We – as a society, as collective, as humankind – are killing the forest to have more meat on our plate, more furniture made of beautiful wood, more mines to serve the urbanization. But can we stop or, at least, can we avoid the deforestation in the Amazon (and do not kill ourselves as a consequence of climate change)?
How can we save the Amazon?
(A) Develop simple habits:
- eat less meat;
- become a vegetarian (don’t need to do this right now, but put this as a goal in life);
- plant a tree every year;
- talk to friends and family to eat less meat and to plant more trees;
- prefer alternative materials instead of wood (and plastic);
- reuse more your own stuff, share more, rent more;
- spread the message to protect our forest, our home, our planet;
- be supportive every day, understand that we all (humans and trees) are brothers that should love each other;
- consume more images of the Amazon rainforest, do not consume the forest.
(B) Support NGOs that contribute to sustainable development in the Amazon:
- Donate to S.O.S. Amazônia
- Donate to WWF Brasil
- Donate to Greenpeace Brasil
- Donate to Amazon Aid
- Donate to Earth Alliance
- Donate to Mighty Earth
- Donate to FAS Amazonas
- Donate to IPAM Amazônia
- Donate to Imazon
- Donate to Amigos da Terra – Amazônia Brasileira
- Donate and support in many ways Rainforest Alliance
- Donate and support Carbon Neutral Program of Idesam
- Donate and help to protect indigenous groups against COVID-19 at Amazonia Contra Covid
- Develop a project with Partnership For Forest
- Develop a startup with Centro de Empreendedorismo da Amazônia
(C) Support organizations that protect indigenous communities:
(D) Buy products developed by Brazilian indigenous communities:
- Arts and crafts, transparent about its origin and traceability at Origens Brasil
- Food, books, arts and crafts, and clothing made by different forest peoples at Instituto SocioAmbiental Store
- Traditional arts and crafts at Tucum Brasil Store
- Great original artworks created by Mahku, a group of Huni Kuin artists at Nixi-pae Espírito da Floresta Blog (need to order via e-mail)
- Arts and crafts in São Paulo stores at Artesanato Indígena
(E) Pressure your government and companies to import only from suppliers and regions that show evidence of eliminating deforestation.
(F) Avoid fake news, memes on Whatsapp and neoliberal ideology. Real information about the Amazon forest can be found at:
- Resources and news of All Eyes on the Amazon
- Download an App to monitor the forests via Global Forest Watch
- Watch One Amazon – Amazon Action Forum
- Download the Amazon Fund Report 2018
Now, take a souvenir from Mother Earth to your computer, and dream that if you don’t do anything someone else will save the problem of deforestation in the Amazon.
If you are the author of any image, please contact us, so we can credit it: firstname.lastname@example.org